Monthly Archives: August 2013

Benefits of e-filing 1099 forms

File taxes online

How much time do you spend yearly trying to figure out complicated IRS 1099 forms to complete and file your taxes? Does it seem like it takes more time every single year because the 1099 forms change? After all that, you still have the hassle of shoving those 1099 forms into an envelope and mailing them, and you don’t get confirmation that your return was received until you get your refund or receive word that you’ve made a mistake. There’s an easier way!
E-Filing is a way for tax payers to file their 1099 forms in a quick and safe manner and eliminates all the pesky forms associated with traditional paper filing. No more worries about postage or waiting in line to mail your return. The internet may seem intimidating, but it’s no more intimidating than filling out numerous forms and stressing over whether or not you’ve forgotten something.
E-filing 1099 forms (in general and e-filing 1099-MISC form in particular) is often more accurate than filing a paper return, because most of the time the online program you’re using for your return will alert you if you’ve made mistakes or omitted something. It’s also easier, as the majority of the programs will walk you through filing step by step and ask questions to ensure you’re getting the best return possible.
Not only is e-filing easier, but it’s also quite cost effective. Most tax filing companies charge only minimal fees for this service. Nine times out of ten, it’s faster and easier to finish your tax return and get back to your life.
Electronically filing your taxes also eliminates the need to know the most current tax rules, because the programs are designed to know all the new information for the current tax year. Not having to be an amateur accountant when filing your return is definitely worth any cost incurred from e-filing 1099 forms.
Another important feature of e-filing is that most often the e-file provider mails out a paper copy to your recipients, thus eliminating the hassle of doing it yourself.So when looking to e-file your 1099 and 1098 forms, look no further than our website. We offer competitive pricing and convenience! offers the most cost effective way to efile your 1099, 1098 and W-2 forms.


When to Hire and When to Contract

In our last blog, we reviewed the differences between an independent contractor and a standard File employee taxesemployee.  In this blog you will learn which type best suits your needs.

You’re a small business owner and you’ve become quite successful. You have a small staff that is already working full-or part-time, but you’ve got some small specialized tasks that need accomplished. Your secretary is available to finish what needs to be done, but you also realize she is not particularly creative. At this point, you know it isn’t exactly fiscally responsible to hire another employee, but you need some more help.

It sounds like you may need an independent contractor.  Basically, an independent contractor comes into your company when you have a finite amount of work that needs to be finished.  You may also have budget constraints that make hiring another employee impossible.  With an IC, they are typically paid by the job and on a short term basis, so most of the time you don’t pay high insurance premiums for them.

Another advantage to the IC is that they typically supply their own tools.  There’s very little need to supply office space, supplies, or utilities.  Also, an IC is responsible for his own tax liability thus alleviating the necessity of filing extensive forms with the IRS.  Essentially, an IC is brought into a company when there is specialized work that needs to be done and the amount of work does not justify bringing on another employee.

An employee is brought on when the workload has become too much for the company, the budget allows for it, and the amount of work will be ongoing.  If you expect the boom in business to be temporary, then a seasonal employee sounds like it may be a good fit.  However, if you have some press releases that need written, or a new blurb written for your advertisements, an independent contractor is most likely going to be the right fit for your business.

As always, consult with an accountant or a tax attorney before making any tax decisions for your company.  For any independent contractors in need of 1099 assistance, please contact us!

Just as for your employees you need to report salary paid on Form W-2, for contractors you will need to file form 1099-MISC to report payments made during the year. Use for all your 1099, 1098, or W-2 filing needs.